155 locomotives of this class, the largest tank engine in the BR standard range, were built between 1951 and 1956. In common with the other standard designs they were to be found all over the country, with large concentrations in the Eastern Region (London, Tilbury and Southend section) and the Scottish Region (Glasgow suburban). Several were sent to Whitby shed and were frequent performers on the Malton trains, over what is now the NYMR, until evicted by the onslaught of the DMUs.
No. 80135 was completed at Brighton Locomotive Works in April 1956 and was initially allocated to Plaistow for working over the London, Tilbury and Southend line, later transferring to Tilbury depot, where it continued on the same duties until the route was electrified in 1962. 21 of the class were then transferred to the Western Region and 80135 was one of 4 allocated to Shrewsbury for passenger duties. At the start of 1963 it moved to Oswestry for service on the Cambrian section, and then returned to Shrewsbury in September 1964. Withdrawn from this location on 17 August, 1965 it was towed to Barry scrapyard at the end of that year.
By virtue of its simple design and ease of access for maintenance, the Standard tank engine became an obvious choice for purchase by the NYMR. No. 80135 was in the best all-round condition of the surviving 2-6-4Ts at Barry and was delivered to Pickering in March 1973. Subsequently bought by Jos de Crau, who financed its restoration in the NYMR workshops, the locomotive was put to work in Brunswick green livery in April 1980.
In 1992 it received a repaint in a slightly different shade of green, and it normally achieved high annual mileages without serious problems. In July 1992, however, a succession of tube failures led to the engine’s slightly premature withdrawal for a full overhaul, but after an insurance inspection, permission was given to extend the boiler life by a year on condition that all the small tubes were replaced. It was thus in use for the 1993 season in which it achieved a mileage of nearly 9,000. Its overhaul started in 1994 and included a new firebox built at Pridham’s. It returned to traffic in February 1999, making its ‘Main Line’ debut on 23 May, on a ‘Captain Cook Pullman’ to Whitby.