Post No 2
Well, my initial enthusiasm for building my new layout continues but I’d forgotten a couple of key issues since I built my first layout. Probably most important is the sensible display of HD buildings. They need to be spread out across the layout and in a way that maximises their display value. So, I want the turntable with its shed (and extension) to invite the eye to look at the parked locos within. I’ve attached a picture from my old layout which, hopefully, shows the look I’m after.
I also decided to make the pretty large 5083 building to be a through station rather than a terminus. I’ve still to add signal boxes, good shed etc. I also wanted some good long sidings to display my favourite rolling stock.
So, my initial SCARM plan has changed considerably and a very basic re-worked layout seems to be approaching what I think will be close to a final configuration. I’ve attached one picture to show the basic arrangement so far.
A bit of my re-design is to do with practical reasons. For example, it doesn’t make sense to lean over three sidings when using the turntable – so they need to be more distant.
On a more quirky note – the table legs for my new layout were cut to the same size as my original layout. However, in a longer but narrower attic space they just looked too high. Sounds odd but I ended up cutting two inches off their length and now they look in proportion.
In my previous post I was worried about a leaky roof dropping moisture onto my layout. Well, it’s not what I thought. The following explanation from my brother means a much easier fix.
I don’t think the moisture travels along the nails. I think the moisture in the air, greater than usual concentrations if you’ve been up there for an hour or two, is attracted to the cold nails which have conducted the cold from outside to inside and condenses on the metal. The sharp tip provides a good collecting point – a droplet forms and then drips when the weight overcomes the surface tension.
So, I only need to cover the nail tips rather than seal leaks. Useful perhaps info if you’re running an attic layout.
I have finally covered the roof space between roof timbers and, hopefully, this will prevent moisture droplets from landing on my layout. So far it seems to be working. I have for a long time been a fan of Hornby Acho but knew, of course that it’s not a 3 rail system. I’ve had a bit of a lightbulb moment in wondering how to incorporate some Acho rolling stock on my new layout.
The answer is a very pleasing three rail conversion of a Lima SCNF train. I include two pics – one of the train and the conversion skid. It runs very strongly on 3 rail track.
I’ve been making some progress recently. I’ve now firmly settled on my layout design and have placed all significant buildings, electric points and sidings. I’m attaching a couple of pics to give an overall idea of the layout. Apologies for the lighting but that has still to be addressed.
Lots of initial snagging work has been done. I’ve identified poor track, shorts (using continuity testing) and generally tested some of my more reluctant trains over key points. I’d forgotton just how much effort it takes to get a decent layout running. I’m still unpacking my locos and rolling stock and getting the odd surprise – e.g. why do I have four Nigel Gresleys ?
But there is a lot of pleasure now that I’ve got trains reliably running in my double loop track. I haven’t got near any scenery yet. Work in progress. Most useful bit of track = the 1/8th straight. I’ve used it repeatedly to allow me to just sneak in an extra siding here and there; also, to push the engine shed just a fraction further back.
It was my father who introduced me to the joys of Hornby Dublo all those years ago and I was delighted when my brother opened an old box and there was my father’s old Triang Hornby loco – minus a fair bit of valve gear. But, within a week I got the missing pieces from Ebay and it’s now complete. I attach a pic. So, I’m reunited with that very important train. It will find a place on my new layout.